OST to PST Migration – How to Do It Manually?Posted: November 15, 2016
In modern world where nothing is possible without emails, Microsoft Outlook is an undisputed king when it comes to online communication. For emailing, Outlook is the first choice of every user. We are very well aware of Outlook email client. Well, your favorite Outlook is more than just an email client. It is your personal information manager which contains features more than just emailing, such as task manager, calendar, notes, journal, contacts, and browsing. Outlook is the important part of Microsoft Office, a well-known MS Office suite. It also comes as another application.
It is used widely as a standalone application for emailing. It is commonly used with Exchange Server in large enterprises and organizations for multiple workstations. With Microsoft Exchange Server, one can share mailbox data with each other. Users can also work offline in MS Outlook if internet is not available. It creates copy of its mailbox data on local system, known as Outlook Storage Table (OST). If you are not connected to server, it stores mailbox items in a data file, Personal Storage Table (PST).
Why You Should Convert OST into PST?
It often becomes important to convert OST data into PST. Here are some of the common reasons –
- Mailbox goes inaccessible because of Exchange Server crash. Though you can work in offline mode with OST file, it is not possible to sync with Exchange Server. If you urgently have to access mailbox to make changes, you can convert OST file into PST.
- Regular maintenance needs for Exchange Server are another reason. During the process, you cannot use Exchange Server. It often becomes important to access mailbox which cannot be possible for the maintenance of Exchange Server. To access mailbox items, you can import file into MS Outlook.
- If you switch from one organization, you have to convert OST into PST. Your Outlook account is connected to your company’s server. After few months, you have to resign from the company to join another one. Since you left your company, the administrator has deleted your account. Though you have OST data, you cannot use them without having connection to Exchange Server. In that case, it is better to convert your OST files into PST format to continue using your old data.
- If your important data has recently been removed, you can recover them only with OST to PST conversion.
- Corruption is another major reason behind OST to PST conversion. No OST repair tool is reliable that comes for free in the market to repair your corrupt OST files. So, you have to convert OST to PST files.
Converting OST to PST File Manually – Step by Step Guide
Outlook has Import & Export feature which is known to be the ideal way to export mailbox items.
- On the top of MS Outlook, click File menu, then “Open” and go to “Import”
- When “Import and Export Wizard” is opened, choose “Export to a file”. Then click “Next”.
- Choose “Outlook Data File” in the list and click “Next”
- Choose mailbox folder to export. You can also add subfolders.
- Now you have to define location to save new PST file. Click “Finish” to start process
Within few minutes, process is done.
If you still not able to do this, you can use a third party application like OST to PST Converter tool. There is no technical skill is required to access this application. This tool not only convert ost to pst file as well as recover deleted emails. Go through a Free trial version and use it. Free trial version will show you the preview of converted data. If you feel that tool is working for your then you need to purchase the full version license.